Thursday, August 7, 2014

I LOVE ALZHEIMER'S!!!!


I’m not going all religious on you… But I am using a familiar story and sharing its current impact on me.

In the Christian faith many have prayed the mantra over and over known as “The Lord’s Prayer”.  I see this being similar to a monk who chants sacred words and sounds. Both containing layers of metaphysical powers many never unlock or fully recognize. But lately, another Jesus prayer has seemed extremely significant to me, and it’s one that isn’t mentioned that often unless it is during the time that pays homage to his death and afterlife.

“Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.”

“Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.”

“Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.”

In my Lomi (traditional Hawaiian healing/massage) practice, part of what I’m discovering is the act of “ho-oponopono” or shortened in my interpretation “cleaning house”. Not just a physical house, a mental, emotional and spiritual home(s).

The Parable of a T-Shirt That Says : I <3 Alzheimer’s

Several years ago, my mother and my brother hurt one another deeply. She thought she was surprising him with a long over-due unannounced visit and he was busy trying to make a living for his family as a professional artist. Because of the distraction of my mother’s arrival, he suffered a monetary loss and reacted with blame and frustration and negative emotions unleashed upon my highly sensitive mother. Her journey brought her to my house afterwards where I spent the week hearing her cry, listening to her sorrow and pain. Later, another incident happened and my brother made the choice to disconnect from most of us in our immediate dysfunctional family unit. Years of processing and trying to understand and replaying words and images in my own head… all taking me on a journey that has ended in Hawaiian house cleaning.

“Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.”

I look at us all, in all the situations that have occurred and I see people who have been reactionary, emotional, self-absorbed, unable to wear another’s shoes. The list goes on and on.  People unconscious. Going through motions without enlightenment being their guide. Spewing into the world instead of intentionally moving with love as the format. Wild animals caught in their own traps, prisoners bound by their own chains. All of us, including myself.

No words spoken for almost a decade. Mother broken. Son broken. Sister broken. Brother broken. Family broken. But all developing strength through the consequences of life playing itself out in one another’s lives.

And then suddenly an opportunity arises and son meets with mother again, only now, mother’s brain is being softened and re-shaped by Alzheimer’s. Her daughter miles away was worried about how things were playing themselves out, how mom was going to react; whether or not her body and mind could withstand the stress of facing what was and what had transpired.

“Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.”

Speaking on the telephone with mom afterwards, I found not only reassurance that everything was good, healed;  I also discovered the ability to laugh at the ugly, to laugh at what once seemed so overwhelming and enormously IMPORTANT. I asked her if she had a good visit. She replied, “You should see how many apples are in our yard… I know something happened a long time ago, but I don’t remember what it was. I don’t remember anything bad anymore, honey. I just live today, kind of moment to moment. It was like laughing and talking and visiting with new people. YOU SHOULD SEE ALL THE APPLES IN OUR YARD!!!!!”

The power of forgiveness and the power of forgetfulness. What really matters in the end?

When we feel  “wronged” by someone, when someone reacts and then we react and then they react and a cycle becomes a whirlwind becomes a tornado becomes a hurricane – when it becomes difficult to forgive and let go and move forward – in the end maybe all that matters is a simple little statement concerning all of us, from both sides meeting in the center: “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”

Clean your own house first. Forgive yourself first, for hurtful reactions, for allowing others to destroy your inner peace, for words said and unsaid, for deeds done to others out of fear, frustration, anger or hate, for not loving yourself enough, for not KNOWING. Forgive others, even when you aren’t able to see what they see or feel what they feel. Forgive circumstances, situations, events, frailties, imperfections.  “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” I'm not saying to not have a backbone. I'm also not saying that I think we should allow ourselves to be used or mistreated. I'm thinking we simply need to keep trying our best, in every situation, and maybe more especially during the heated moments.

I really really really want to make mom a t-shirt that says: “I <3 Alzheimer’s”….

 

“In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete

Drawn only to be washed away

For the time that I've been given

I am what I am.”

“If there was no Tomorrow

If there was just Today

Would you make different choices

Or would you stay the same.”

“I'm begging for forgiveness, everything I've done, If God is listening, He knows I'm not the only one.”

― quotes from Five Finger Death Punch

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment